November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving

Growing up, Thanksgiving meant traveling to see the grandparents. 
My dad's family lived in Mississippi.
My mom's family lived in Arkansas. 
We would alternate where we would go for Thanksgiving and Christmas every year.
But we made sure that we were in Arkansas when the other family would be there. 
This went on for years, but as grandparents passed away, we started having Thanksgiving at home.  There was no tradition for a while, and once my family even traveled to Gatlinburg for the holiday. 

Once my parents bought their own house, (I grew up in church manses), my dad was very adamant about having Thanksgiving at home.  So my sister and family would travel from Collierville to my parents, I would make the short trek from my house, and my brother-in-laws parents would come and join us also.  This has been our tradition since my parents moved.  This year was the same, but we added a few family members. 

My mom's sister and husband joined us from Indiana. 
My cousin Jamie, her husband Eric, and their two kids Lilly and Will came from St. Louis.
Jaime's (brother-in-law) parents and brother and his fiance' joined us.
Lou and Jake joined us.
There were a total of 19 people at Thanksgiving. 
It reminded me of Thanksgivings in Calico Rock, Arkansas.
This is where my mom and her sisters grew up.
We would have Thanksgiving in the house my grandpa built.
There would be 1 bathroom for 14 or so people. (My parents have 2)
We were all together. 

This year we did have a few family members that were unable to make the trip, but it was still so incredibly fun to have many of us back together.
My mom's youngest sister drove down from Kansas City on Friday with her two grandsons. 
It was so good to see my mom and both of her sisters together.  I can't remember the last time they were all together. 

It was just a great weekend, and I have so much to be thankful for. 

That is all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment