March 10, 2013

Redecorating a little...

Pinterest has ruined me.
Since August I have painted my kitchen, living room, closet, bathroom, and now my bedroom. 
(I chose the wrong type of paint for my bathroom, so I have to repaint it someday.)
I LOVE IT!!  I feel like I have a new house!!

I have also decided on what I want my bedroom (soon to be mine and Lou's bedroom) to look like and how to make it not so girly.  It really wasn't girly to start with, but it just needed a change.
  I had pinned so many ideas, but never just fell in love with any of them, and then I saw a color palette and I knew that's what I wanted.  I took my phone to Home Depot and tried the best I could to pick out a color and I think I did a pretty good job.  

I started painting about two weeks ago and started with the tallest wall in my room.  I like the vaulted ceilings most days, but this day I was not a fan.  Lou had brought over a ladder, but it was only a 6 footer, I think.  I had to stand on the last step before the top of the ladder to barely reach the ceiling to tape it off, and I had bruises on my legs the next day from where I was leaning on the top of the ladder.  Needless to say I was not going to do that again.  

I finished two walls, even took down and cleaned my blinds so I could paint the inside of the window.  I was in cleaning mode.  I even took another idea from Pinterest and used a dryer sheet to wipe down the baseboards.  Apparently dust is not supposed to stick.  I am more worried about the enormous amounts of cat hair that I found behind my bed.  Ew.

The color palette (not sure if that is the way to spell it) I am using is a lighter blue with a hint of gray, a navy blue bedspread with yellow and gray accent pillows.  I am so excited!!!

I went to Hobby Lobby the other day and looked at their curtain selections and bought one of the gray chevron panels.  I put it all the way to the ceiling, but after sending the picture to 2 friends and my sister, they all said to bring it down, so I put it in the middle.  I have to hem the curtains, but that will be a breeze.  I also used my 40% coupon and saved some cash!!  They were not expensive to begin with, but I love saving money.  I had bought the gray chevron pillow cover earlier in the week, so I knew it would go perfectly with the walls. 


 (And yes, that is a Sonic cup in my floor.)

Lou loves the color and said that it was very calming, so I am proud of myself!!  

I loved the color I had on there, but it was hard to match bedding with.

I had shelves on my wall, but now I have an armoire in the nook.  That armoire has been there and not been there more times than I can count.  I can't ever decide where I like it.  

I have a dresser that my dad made for me when I was in high school, and as soon as I saw the colors in the Pinterest pic I knew it would match the furniture of the bed, my armoire, and the dresser.  


Excuse the mess.

This is all I have to finish, but I am too afraid until I get a taller ladder.  And it would be a good time to replace the smoke alarm battery that has been out for a few years.  (It took a bar stool and a screwdriver to get it out when it was beeping every 5 seconds.)


I am so excited (how many times can I say that) about what it will all look like when it is finished!  
I'm not rushing to get it all done, one because it costs money, and two because I have learned that I don't have to do it all right away, but I have started and that is at least something.  I went back to Hobby Lobby to get the second panel for the other window and picked up another pillow cover, but this one is a coral chevron.  I think it will look really good with all the other colors I am using.  And the plus is that I had some pillows in colors I didn't like anymore and they fit perfectly into the pillow covers!!  More money saved!! 


More decorating posts to come soon.  Hope everyone had a great weekend!!




No comments:

Post a Comment