October 9, 2012

Closet Project!!

I am constantly CONSTANTLY changing my closet - always wanting to get it the way I want - but I am never happy - until now!  I decided I was finally going to raise the rails up so I could have more room on the bottom.  I thought this would be a piece of cake, but it definitely was not.  Little did I know that EVERY screw was in the wall with anchors.  And anchors are extremely hard to get out of the wall, and I learned the hard way. 
 
Here is the before picture...
Well I had already taken the rail off, but had not attempted the holder thingys...
 
 
 
I raised them up 7 inches - a random number, but it worked for me.  That way I could still put my shoe holders up at the top and be able to reach them.  I know my neighbors were loving the sound of me hammering holes in my walls (I am in a townhome and my closet backs up to their bedroom). 
It was a CRAZY job getting those hook things out, and to be honest, I didn't get them all out, so I had to compromise.  BUT, the next day I went to Home Depot to find extra anchors, but found something a little different, but it would definitely work. 
If you could have seen my bag of tools, you would have laughed!!  I had a ton of stuff out to use, because the holes in the wall had to be a certain size or the anchors either would not fit, or would be falling out, so it was a fun experience.  After I put the rails back up, I was able to hang up my clothes and then have space at the bottom to put up small shelving that I had used in my classroom to hold things.  My first attempt was to put up a shower curtain rod hanging with para cord from the original rail to add a bottom rail for clothes.  While it worked, it was not what I wanted, so I cut that down and put them on the other rail.  So in the end, I am VERY pleased!!  I feel like I have so much more room to store what I need to in my closet and it not feel so cramped!  Who knew that raising the rails up would make such a difference!! 
Here are the after pictures.  I do have a lot of clothes, but I have put on a bunch of weight and many of them don't fit, but they will!!!
 

 

 
 

 
So there it is.  Nothing really exciting, but I am happy!!
 
Elizabeth


No comments:

Post a Comment